Free Consultation: (219) 508-8607Tap to Call This Lawyer
Betsy Walits

Betsy Walits

Sole Practitioner/Former University Professor
  • Arbitration & Mediation, Divorce, Business Law ...
  • Indiana
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Betsy taught Business Law, Employment Law, Human Resources, Hospitality and related courses for 6 years at Purdue. Formerly, she was a tenured faculty member at Niagara University, in Niagara Falls NY, and received her Law Degree at SUNY Buffalo while teaching there. Betsy has been an Indiana Attorney since 2006, and is the former Executive Director of the Lake County Bar Association, and among other things was in charge of their referral network. Betsy has conducted academic research and has been a featured speaker all across North America speaking on legal and nonlegal subjects.

Practice Areas
    Arbitration & Mediation
    Business Arbitration, Consumer Arbitration, Family Arbitration
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Additional Practice Areas
  • General Civil
  • Social Security
  • Free Consultation
    Depending on area of legal services needed, phone consultations are free.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Discover, MasterCard, Visa
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Rates are 200 per hour. Advanced Deposits start at 1000, depending upon complexity of case.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Sole Practitioner
Law Office of Betsy Walits, LLC
- Current
Located across Lincolnway from Porter Hospital's Parking Garage. By appointment.
Cornell University
other (2012) | Professional Studied Hotel Admin
Hotel Restaurant Administration
Cornell University Logo
State University of New York - Buffalo
J.D. (1998) | Juries Doctorate
State University of New York - Buffalo Logo
College of the Holy Cross
B.A. | Psychology
Activities: Varsity Tennis Internship Bergson Restaurants
College of the Holy Cross Logo
Teacher of the Year
Purdue University
Professional Associations
Indiana State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Women Lawyers Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Lake County Bar Association
Executive Director
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
19 Questions Answered
Q. Any way to force the ex husband to assume the mortgage on the house he bought me out of in the divorce? He is refusing.
A: Your redress is through the court that ordered your divorce. Your ex has violated the court order. You will file a Rule To Show Cause, and because he has violated the order you might be able to get an attorney to represent you to get an order demanding he pay your fees. If you don’t want to hire an Atty or can’t, go to the court clerk and ask if they have a form. Or check on
Q. what does waiting on ALJ for draft instructions mean
A: I don’t know where you are getting the language from but the ALJ is the Administrative Law Judge. So it’s in the pipeline waiting for the Judge to write something,
Q. Divorced 5 years ago. Husband awarded house in decree with no time limit to refinance. Still in both our names.
A: You would file contempt charges against him if your order states he needs to take the house out of your name. Sounds like he has bad credit now so you’d have to ask the Judge to order the sale of the house.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
I work Virtually now
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Telephone: (219) 508-8607
Cell: (219) 508-1658
Fax: (708) 221-6748