Free Consultation: (972) 379-9049Tap to Call This Lawyer
Benton R Patterson III

Benton R Patterson III

Trademark and Copyright Attorney
  • Intellectual Property, Trademarks
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
    Intellectual Property
    Trademark Litigation, Trademark Registration
Additional Practice Area
  • Copyright
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Texas A&M University School of Law
Placeholder image for education.
University of North Texas
University of North Texas Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Texas  # 24095088
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
The Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn Inn of Court
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Panelist, Legal Careers Presentation, Denton, TX
University of North Texas PreLaw Program
Websites & Blogs
Firm website
Legal Answers
256 Questions Answered
Q. What next if specimens for Declaration 8 & 9 are deficient and 10 years are up?
A: You can submit a new application after your current registration is cancelled. Although, if the USPTO rejected your specimens for the renewal, it will also reject them for the new application. I recommend working with a trademark attorney to ensure you have acceptable specimens.
Q. Ours is a partnership firm with 4 partners, based in India. We need to register our Trademark with USPTO. Pls. guide
A: The fee to file an application electronically is $225 or $275 depending on the filing status. You will also need to pay an attorney to file the application. The attorneys fees can vary, but will generally be less than $1000. The estimated time to complete a registration is 18 months. I recommend speaking with a US trademark attorney to plan out how to establish your trademark rights in the US.
Q. I created a koozie saying “lake:30”. Was informed on Etsy by Lake30 that they own that exact trademark, however I
A: A trademark attorney would need to review the trademark registration and your product to determine if your product infringes their trademark. Generally speaking, exact copying is not required to infringe a trademark. If a consumer would confuse your mark with the other, there can be infringement.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Patterson Legal
2310 N Henderson Ave.
STE 724
Dallas, TX 75206
Telephone: (972) 379-9049