Amy Van OstrandPersonal Injury & Wrongful Death Attorney
- Personal Injury
I've practiced law in Indiana since 1999, and have devoted most of my career to handling wrongful death and personal injury cases for Hoosiers. I litigate cases in Indiana State and Federal Courts, and am a skilled appellate attorney, having authored briefs to the Indiana Court of Appeals, the Indiana Supreme Court, and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. In 2019, I was honored to be selected as an Indianapolis Bar Foundation (IBF) Distinguished Fellow, recognizing my long record of service, exemplary standing with the Indiana Supreme Court, and contributions to Indianapolis’ legal community. Additionally, over the years, I've been involved in the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA), serving as a faculty lecturer, and writing articles for Verdict, the organization’s publication. I'm also a member of the Indiana State Bar Association, and the Indianapolis Bar Association, and have served as a faculty lecturer for the Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum. I graduated from University of Illinois College of Law, magna cum laude, in 1999, and have practiced law at some of Indiana’s finest law firms, including at Faegre Baker Daniels. I also have extensive non-profit leadership experience, having managed media relations for the Humane Society of Indianapolis, and served as the Executive Director of Indiana Proactive Animal Welfare, Inc., a non-profit organization that spent seven successful years using education and advocacy to reduce the number of homeless dogs and cats euthanized in Indiana. I live in Carmel with my husband, Derek, and our two cats, Dean and Carole, who, between the two of them, spent 5 1/2 years (yes, 5 1/2 years) awaiting adoption at a shelter. When I'm not practicing law or working in the animal welfare community, I'm donating blood and encouraging others to donate blood and join the national bone marrow registry (“Be The Match”).
- Personal Injury
- Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
- Car Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Free Consultation
- Contingent Fees
- English: Spoken, Written
- University of Illinois College of Law
- J.D. (1999) | Juris Doctor, Law
- Honors: Magna cum laude. Participated in Moot Court and Mock Trial.
- Claremont Consortium of Colleges - Claremont McKenna College
- B.A. (1996) | Literature/History
- Honors: Magna cum laude. Dean's List. Distinguished Scholar. Graduated with honors in both Literature and History departments.
- Distinguished Fellow
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation (IBF)
- Candidates to become an IBF Distinguished Fellow must have a long record of service, have an exemplary standing, and have made exceptional contributions to the Indianapolis legal community. Distinguished Life Fellows extend the commitment that they first made as Distinguished Fellows through continued support of the IBF.
- Indiana State Bar  # 21854-49
- Putting Color On Our Clients' Canvases - Persuading The Court To Allow Digital Demonstrative Evidence At Trial
- Verdict (Publication Of Indiana Trial Lawyers Association)
- Sealing Off The Exits: Taking The Deposition Of A “Forgetful” Witness
- Verdict (Publication of Indiana Trial Lawyers Association)
- "Blood Out Of A Turnip: Persuading A Tortfeasor To Make A Personal Contribution To Settlement", Seminar
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association (ITLA)
- "Blood, Sweat & A Bad Dog" - Personal Injury Seminar - Presenter, Seminar
- Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (ICLEF)
- Rowe & Hamilton