Free Consultation: (614) 876-7888Tap to Call This Lawyer
Aaron Epling

Aaron Epling

Epling Law Office
  • Estate Planning, Probate, Elder Law...
  • Ohio
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Aaron B. Epling operates Epling Law Office, LLC; serving all of Ohio and limited primarily to estate planning and probate law. He routinely assists clients in the orderly and tax efficient transfer of wealth during life and after death by preparing all related estate planning documents; representing fiduciaries of trusts, decedent’s estates and guardianships; planning for incapacity and elder concerns; planning for employee benefits; planning charitable gifts; and handling tax controversy and fiduciary litigation. Aaron resides in Hilliard, Ohio with his wife, Tiffany, and three girls. He is an avid golfer and racquetball player and he enjoys spending time with his girls.

Practice Areas
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Elder Law
  • Business Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Supreme Court of Ohio Office of Attorney Services
ID Number: 0091942
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Epling Law Office
Capital University Law School
Capital University Law School Logo
Professional Associations
Ohio State Bar Association - Estate Planning, Trust, & Probate Law Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Ohio # 0091942
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Modern Ohio Estate Planning
Very Limited
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered

Q. Are Ohio dower-rights enough to protect me if I am not on the title of our new home?
A: You can simply have the property deeded to both of you as joint owners and then the survivor owns the property outright. Dower is an antiquated concept (that Ohio still uses) that gives a surviving spouse a 1/3 life estate in the property owned by the deceased spouse. Not total ownership by any means, but enough to prevent a 3rd party from wanting to buy it for sure. You should talk to an attorney about this because I don't think you would be concerned if there weren't other issues that need discussed.
Q. yes my dad has a settlement coming and he died 2012 so my brother and have to open a estate account
A: I'm not sure what the question is, but any settlement payable to your father's estate will need deposited into an estate account. You won't be able to open an estate checking account without first opening probate. I suggest that you require the payments be made directly to the beneficiaries/heirs as part of the settlement negotiations.
Q. We own property in OH, with other relative who refuses to file will. He is lawyer and is threatening to litigate us.
A: I'm assuming from your question that you and at least one other person (the decedent who left a will) own the property. Filing a grievance is probably appropriate given these facts, but it doesn't solve your problem anytime soon. You could file an application to probate the will yourself; or simply an application to act as administrator if you can't locate the will. If the person named as executor wants to step in, then they are allowed to do so and they will be accountable to the court at that point. If they don't step in, then you can move forward and sell or transfer the property as administrator.
Q. My aunt passed in 2017 in nj I live in OH I was the executor and no assets why did I get a treasury bill for 300k?
A: You probably need to talk to an attorney. This could be a scam or a mistake. If its a mistake, then you need to make sure you take care of it before the IRS begins to collect on your assets.
A: Good question. Most attorneys won't do a simple will without making sure that a POA is in place for medical and non-medical needs. To have an attorney look at your situation and draft new documents will probably cost at least $500. Of course, some attorneys charge $3,000 to $5,000; so it depends who you talk to and what you need. The least expensive way is to find a free one online, but then you risk making the situation worse. I've put several online wills through probate and they can be nightmares. Additionally, you may be able to accomplish all your goals without a will; talking to an attorney can really help.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
3544 Main Street
Hilliard, OH 43026
Telephone: (614) 876-7888